The Kalama School District is focused on successfully preparing
all students for their future. The Kalama School District Highly Capable
Program is designed to meet the academic needs of our students in
grades third through fifth who fall in the top 2 percentiles for
cognitive aptitude, the top 10 percentiles academically, and who
demonstrate exceptional ingenuity.
In accordance with the philosophy to develop the special abilities of
each student, the Kalama School District offers appropriate
instructional programs to meet the needs of exceptionally gifted and
talented students. Our Highly Capable Program curriculum, instruction
and assessment practices are designed to meet the following objectives:
- Expansion of academic attainments and intellectual skills;
- Stimulation of intellectual curiosity, independence and responsibility;
- Development of a positive attitude toward self and others; and
- Development of originality and creativity.
- To provide enriched and accelerated academic opportunities with an
emphasis on the development of higher level thinking skills including
application, analysis, synthesis and evaluation of content and concepts.
- To offer an environment where highly capable students are encouraged to reach their full potential.
- To prepare students for future contributions to society and to encourage life-long learning.
The Elementary Highly Capable Program is an after school program for
grades third through fifth located in the elementary library or in the
middle school computer lab. Students meet once a week for one and a half
hours working on individual and group tasks.
All nominated third grade through fifth grade students are tested for
eligibility. Those who meet the criteria are offered placement into our
Highly Capable Program. If a parent feels that their child meets the
highly capable program placement requirements, they may contact Todd
Paget to set up a conference.
If you have programmatic or eligibility questions you may contact Sheila Stuhlsatz: firstname.lastname@example.org, 360-673-5207. Or Kim Allais: email@example.com
Highly Capable Referral Form
Highly Capable Appeal Process